Sign up For DC 37 News


DC 37 Education Benefits

Civil service exams you can take – updated list

State law calls on municipalities to sharply reduce current numbers of provisional employees, and the state Civil Service Commission is insisting that New York City begin by January 2009 to replace provisionals who have served longer than four months when civil service lists exist with appointments from the lists. Union members who are provisionals should take civil service tests they are eligible for to become permanent civil service workers. Click on the link above for a list of exams.

Tips for members who want to take exams

Review the exam schedule monthly at the Dept. of Citywide Administrative Services by clicking HERE . The list above is subject to change.

New exams usually open for filing on the first Wednesday of each month (except holidays). If a scheduled exam is going to be postponed or canceled, the change will usually be announced at the start of the scheduled filing period.

Read about the duties of the job and the education and experience needed to see if you qualify. Most civil service exams require a filing fee. Check the official Notice of Examination (NOE) for details.

At the beginning of the filing period, read the NOE. You can apply online using DCAS’s Online Application System or OASys at and pay your application fee by credit, debit or bank card or a public assistance ID number (see site for details).

To apply in person you can visit one of five Computer-based Testing & Applications Centers during the scheduled filing periods to complete your application at the following addresses:
2 Lafayette Street, 17th Floor – Manhattan, NY 10007
210 Joralemon Street, 4th Floor – Brooklyn, NY 11201
118-35 Queens Blvd., 5th Floor – Forest Hills, NY 11375
135 Canal Street, 3rd Floor – Staten Island, NY 10304
1932 Arthur Avenue, 2nd Floor – Bronx, NY 10457

YOU CAN NO LONGER PRINT AN APPLICATION. Make sure to read the NOE to determine if you need to bring proof of your education and experience when you visit a center to complete your application. All centers are open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday to Saturday, except holidays.

You should know that filing dates, test dates and qualifications are all subject to change. You can get updates by calling 311 (or 212-NEWYORK from outside the city) and asking for civil service information. The DCAS general information number is (212) 669-1357.

Take a test prep course through the DC 37 Education Fund

District Council 37 has responded to members’ needs to pass civil service examinations by offering a number of test prep courses for many but not all civil service examinations through the DC 37 Education Fund. Only members and agency-fee payers eligible for Education Fund benefits may participate. For upcoming test prep courses, members are contacted by the Education Fund based on their title and the need for a specific test prep course. For more information or to find out if the Education Fund will have a test prep course for a civil service examination you may have applied for, please call (212) 815-1700.

Signing up for an Education Fund test prep course does not register an employee to take the civil service test. The Education Fund does not cover filing fees for civil service examinations. Members must submit their applications and filing fees for exams to the Department of Citywide Administrative Services. For more information, visit their Web site at