Sign up For DC 37 News


DC 37 Education Fund Classes

Frequently Asked Questions

Effective December 2023

  1. What is the Tuition Refund Program?
    The Tuition Reimbursement Program is a program that provides reimbursement of tuition and registration fees up to a maximum of $1,500 per calendar year to eligible members who meet all of the requirements of the program.
  2. What types of courses are eligible for reimbursement?
    The Education Fund will reimburse for non-credit, job-related Civil Service and Continuing Education courses that are offered by accredited institutions or programs and/or authorized providers of:

    Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
    Professional Development Hours (PDHs)
    Continuing Professional Education Credits (CPEs)
    Continuing Medical Education Credit (CMEs)

    All Undergraduate, Graduate, and Post-Graduate courses offered by U. S. affiliated educationally accredited institutions and program as specified in the U.S. Department of Education Database of Accredited Postsecondary Institutions and Programs (

  3. Can I be reimbursed for conferences or test preparation courses?
    Test preparation courses such as GMAT, LSAT, GRE, etc. are not reimbursable. However, conferences are only reimbursable if job-related. Test prep courses that are taken to pass a test for a professional license or certification, or for New York State registration (i.e. Social Workers, Engineers, Architects) as a condition of employment are reimbursable.
    Please note: Examination and Certification Fees are not reimbursable.
  4. How much can I be reimbursed?
    You may be reimbursed up to a maximum of $1,500 per calendar year for any course work taken after January 1, 2024. You also may be able to receive your reimbursement in a single payment of $1,500.
  5. When should I file for a refund?
    At the end of the term, please send us a completed original application form along with a grade report, a detailed bursar’s receipt and a financial aid statement. The grade report and the Bursar’s receipt must contain the student’s full name, the school’s name, and the school’s term. We must have this no later than 120 days after the last day of class.
  6. I have not yet received my grades and the deadline date is almost here. What should I do?
    You should send in all the documents that you have, with a note explaining the reason for the delay. Be sure to send us the missing documents as soon as you receive them.
  7. How soon after submitting my application will I receive my check?
    Please allow 4 to 6 weeks from the date the application is received by the office to process.
  8. Do I have to pass the course to be reimbursed?
    Yes. If you fail, withdraw, or receive an incomplete, you will not be reimbursed for that course. If you take a course for credit, you must receive a “P” or “S” grade or a grade of C or better in order to be eligible for reimbursement. Applicants who take a course at a technical or trade school must also successfully complete the course to receive reimbursement.
  9. Are there any other forms of financial aid for which I may qualify?
    Yes. The main sources of aid are state (TAP), federal (PELL) and aid for part-time study (APTS). You can see the financial aid officer in your school for information on how to apply.
  10. Must I apply for these other sources of aid if I want to be reimbursed?
    No. However, we require proof from your school that you did not apply or receive other financial aid before we can reimburse. The amount that you will be reimbursed is the difference between the tuition and registration fees that you paid and the amount of aid that you received, up to $1,500 per calendar year.
  11. My child is attending college. Can I be reimbursed for his or her tuition fees?
    No. The benefit applies only to the covered member. Your spouse and dependent children or any other dependents are not eligible for education benefits.
  12. Can I ask my school to file my application?
    No. The student, not the school, is responsible for filing the application.
  13. Can I be reimbursed for books and other expenses in connection with school, such as application fees?
    No. Reimbursement is provided only for tuition and/or consolidated or registration fees.
  14. I filled out an application form last term. Should I fill out another form for this term?
    Yes. You should fill out another form only if you have not been reimbursed a maximum of $1,500 for the current calendar year.
  15. I am taking a leave of absence from my job. Can I be reimbursed while I am on a leave of absence?
    No. You must be working as a full-time per annum employee in a title covered by Fund training agreements. Some part-time employees are also eligible. You must also be eligible to receive Education Fund benefits when the course begins in order to be reimbursed. Call the Education Fund if you are unsure if you are in a covered title.
  16. Is there a time limit on when I can apply for reimbursement?
    Yes. A member must file for reimbursement no later than 120 days after the last day of class. However, eligible members may submit one late claim up to one year after the last day of class(es). Filing extensions may be granted at the discretion of the Fund Administrator. Denials of reimbursement may be appealed in writing to the Board of Trustees within sixty (60) days of the date of the denial. In order to complete the application process, all missing documentation must be submitted within one year from the date classes end.

Effective December 2023
You should call DC 37 Education Fund’s Tuition Reimbursement office at (212) 815-1663 or 1664, if your questions have not been answered.